It's Tax Time


According to the IRS if you itemize your deductions then your union dues, and initiation fees are tax deductible.  

 From the IRS: 

Union Dues and Expense

You can deduct dues and initiation fees you pay for union membership.

You can also deduct assessments for benefit payments to unemployed union members. However, you cannot deduct the part of the assessments or contributions that provides funds for the payment of sick, accident, or death benefits. Also, you cannot deduct contributions to a pension fund, even if the union requires you to make the contributions.

You may not be able to deduct amounts you pay to the union that are related to certain lobbying and political activities.

*Regular members dues check off is calculated by multiplying the gross wages paid from all W 2 's times 3.25%. Add that total to the window dues paid for each quarter in 2014. That will give you the total amount of dues paid to deduct on your taxes this year.  

*Industrial members dues check off rate is at 1.75%.

If you donate to the Political Fund that is incurred at a rate of .02 an hour. Those donations are not tax-deductible.

*Regular Members are defined as:

Painters, Drywall Finishers, and Glaziers

*Industrial Members are defined as:

Members who work in a factory setting and our Sign and Display members. 

Please call the hall if you have any questions or consult a tax professional.




Take action Upcoming events Spread the Word